welcome friends

Sunday, May 23, 2010

Cake Creation: First time with fondant

So, I was supposed to start the 3rd Wilton class a week ago Saturday, but due to lack of  sleep,  didn't make it.  I did however show up at Robert's for class yesterday morning only to find out that no one showed up at all last week so the teacher postponed the class for a date to be decided upon.  So, I decided to give working with fondant a try on my own since I already had a cake baked and frosted with butter cream icing. The above cake is what I created.  It is a white cake with apricot filling and glaze surrounding the whole cake.  The then frosted it with butter cream followed by store bought fondant.  It's not too bad for my first attempt, however, I need to learn how to make the edges look seamless and how to deal with cracked fondant.  The ribbon of fondant that goes completely around the cake was put there to cover some of the seams,  The "scrolls" on each corner were there to help mask imperfections as well.  All in all, using fondant was kind of like working with sugar cookie dough.  Adding color was kind of fun too but I can see how it could stain your hands...... fortunately I had some latex gloves hanging around my house.  I haven't eaten much fondant icing and I've had quite a few people tell me how terrible it tastes, however, the little bit I tried wasn't as terrible as everyone said.  It tastes quite a bit like marshmallow.  Anyway, this cake is going to my parents' house for dinner tonight so the whole family can try it.  Later this week I am going to attempt to work with fondant again and take a cake to work.  I can use all the practice I can get.

2 comments:

  1. The cake looks beautiful! Sounds way delicious too. I've never worked with fondant before...I'll have to give it a try sometime. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The apricot filling was wonderful, sweet with a little bit of tang. Fondant is interesting when you eat it on cake. It was good, but I don't think I'd eat a lot of it.

    ReplyDelete