welcome friends

Sunday, May 2, 2010

I need to find my inner chef


I was just thinking I should try to cook more at home.   I find Alan and I eat out a lot which can be expensive as well as unhealthy.  My problem is time and work schedule.  Alan works days and I work evenings so there are only 3 days a week that we are home together in the evening for me to cook dinner.  Alan really isn't into cooking so fast food or microwavable dinners are what he tends to lean to.  I typically go for a can of soup in the cupboard and buy dinner in the cafeteria at work.  Right now my list of prepare ahead dinners is extremely limited.  However, I did make a recipe from Rachael Ray that made enough to feed a small army.  It was a cheeseburger mac and cheese that was to die for http://www.rachaelrayshow.com/food/recipes/cheeseburger-mac-and-cheese/.  I portioned what we were going to eat for dinner then portioned out the rest in Ziploc containers, labeled them, and put them in the freezer.  Already I am sure that this dinner was cheaper and healthier than going out to dinner.  I am challenging myself to make a bunch of meals on the weekend (or days off) to freeze and have later.  I am also going to challenge myself to track how much money it has saved us.  The first task is trying to find tried and true recipes that will freeze that Alan will actually eat (he is a picky eater.)  Somehow I need to sneak veggies into the meal so he will eat them.  He and I are also going to allow ourselves to only eat out once a week on a date night. So, in preparation for the challenge, this week I will be collecting recipes.  If anyone has any great recipes they'd like to share, I would appreciate your submissions.

1 comment:

  1. I seriously have a bazillion easy and freezable recipes. I'll bring some into work for you this week.

    ReplyDelete